Ready. Set. WRITE! is an online writing intensive to help stay accountable with your writing goals over the summer and provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on whether planning, drafting, or revising! Your RSW hosts are Alison Miller, Jaime Morrow, Erin Funk, and Katy Upperman. Find the rest of the details HERE.
Two weeks down, many more to go…
1. How I did on last week’s goals
I hit my goal of 7,000 words (going slightly over at 7,200). Included in that word count I had hoped to finish both chapters 6 and 7, but 6 took on a life of its own and is much longer than expected. So 6 is complete and 2/3 of chapter 7 is done. And I also read RUIN AND RISING, which was a goal too, so I’m happy with my weekly progress!
2. My goal(s) for this week
- Write 5,000 words by Sunday night
- Finish chapter 7 and part of 8
- Conduct “research” at The Hot Chocolatier
- Enjoy spending time with my family this weekend
3. A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised
She beat her mom to work and was grateful for the quiet. There was something magical about the shop in the early morning, when the scents of the candies had been shut up together for the night, blending together and creating a perfume so sweet and engulfing it was hard to imagine anything more perfect.
4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write)
I struggled with my outline this week. Some of the scenes I had planned really added nothing new to the story, so I had to decide to cut them and rearrange things so the storyline kept momentum. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than it was. Hopefully dropping those duller scenes will keep me moving forward too.
5. Something I love about my WIP
I’m loving the bits of magic that are forcing my characters out of their comfort zones. It’s fun to see how they each react to the magic and to each other.